Friday, February 4, 2011

Fernando Torres explains quitting Liverpool for Chelsea

Chelsea new boy Fernando Torres said he left Liverpool because they were a club in transition and a long way from delivering the success he craves. Torres, 26, signed for a British record £50m on Monday, said: "Things had changed a lot in the last year. "I think they have great ambition and they are doing the right things to get back, but it will take time. I didn't have that time."

Torres said he would not celebrate if he scores against Liverpool on Sunday.  Chelsea's deadline-day capture of Torres was the catalyst for a manic Monday of spending, in which Liverpool replaced the Spaniard by signing Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for £35m and £22.7m respectively.

Torres, a 2010 World Cup winner and 2008 European champion with Spain, spent three-and-a-half years at Liverpool after joining from Atletico Madrid for a fee of £20m, scoring 81 goals in 142 matches. But the manner of his departure, which came three days after the Spaniard put in a transfer request, angered some Liverpool fans, who are likely to make their feelings known at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

"I only have good things to say about Liverpool people," said Torres. "They made me feel really good there for three-and-a-half fantastic seasons.

"I understand they will be angry and will not understand my decision. Maybe in a few days or weeks I will explain all the reasons.

"When I was an Atletico Madrid fan growing up, I couldn't understand it when a big player left. But with time I could understand they did the best for themselves, their families and their careers.

"I'm not asking them to understand me but I'm sure over time they will see what I did there.

"Football is like this. From one day to the other, people can love you or hate you."

Torres' commitment to the cause at Liverpool had been criticised this season but he said: "I never lost my ambition.

"Too many people are talking about that - that's just opinions. I was playing out of form for a month."

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti said he had not decided whether to start Torres or keep faith with the team that beat Sunderland 4-2 on Tuesday.  Asked if he would celebrate a goal against his former club, Torres said: "First I have to play, and then I have to score but I have big respect for Liverpool fans so I don't think I will."

Torres revealed that he made up his mind to leave Liverpool midway through the January transfer window and told the club he wanted to leave as soon as he knew of Chelsea's interest.  The Spaniard, whose fee was the fourth highest in football history, added that he did not feel pressurised by his price tag.

"The ambition of this team is to win trophies every year," he said. "That is my ambition too.

"I have been in this situation before when I signed for Liverpool. Big money means big expectation. I'm more than ready for the challenge. I'm excited abut a new life and new era."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9387938.stm

0 comments:

  © World News Today ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP